Dr. Lang, Dr. Prior and the entire team of Mill Pond Veterinary Hospital want all feline owners to remember that Easter lilies are something you should be extremely wary of. Easter is rapidly approaching, and the spring season is on the horizon, we want to make sure you have got all the facts and know how much of a hazard the Easter lily pose to your pets.
Lilies have been proven to be extremely toxic to cats. Eating even a small piece of any of the plant material, including the leaves, stems and roots, licking pollen off their faces or even drinking water from a vase that has had lilies in it can be deadly.
Immediate symptoms of lily toxicity are the sudden onset of vomiting. Additional symptoms can include signs of depression, diarrhea, dehydration and lack of appetite. The main concern surrounding lily ingestion is kidney failure, which can be life-threatening. It only takes a small exposure to cause acute kidney injury.
What Should I Do If My Pet Ingests These Plants?
Catching exposures to lilies quickly is critical. If caught early, kidney failure can be prevented by aggressive treatment at a veterinary hospital. However, it is often fatal if treatment is delayed longer than 18 hours after ingestion of or exposure to a toxin.
If you believe that your cat might have been exposed to or ingested a lily, please contact your veterinarian, get to a veterinary emergency hospital or call the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center at (888) 426-4435 immediately. You will likely need to seek veterinary care swiftly.
Please inspect any incoming bouquets every day of the year and do not leave plants in places that are easily accessible to your cats. If you are thinking of planting lilies in your garden, be sure to keep your pets out of the area. The entire team of Mill Pond Veterinary Hospital is here to help at anytime regarding the health of your pets.